Why Doesn’t Honey Rot and When Does it Crystallize?

A few days ago, I decided to add honey to my oatmeal. When I opened the pantry, I noticed that the honey had formed a sticky, crystal-like goo of some kind. I almost threw it in the trash when my parents told me that it was safe to eat. Apparently, honey can never rot. Is this true?

Honey is a type of sugar, and as a sugar, it doesn’t store much water in its natural state. Also, honey is strongly acidic with a high pH level of 3-4 which inhibits growth of almost anything that tries to live inside it. The high acidity and minimal water in honey prevent the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms.

However, if the honey jar is left open, water can come into contact with the honey and it may become spoiled.

Crystallized honey is a cosmetic defect and can occur for natural reasons. Honey is composed of glucose and fructose. Over time, the glucose in the honey tends to seep out of its solvent and crystallizes; this usually occurs when the temperature is low, such as in a cold cabinet. Honey can also crystallize when there are catalysts such as pollen particles and beeswax. Crystallized honey is safe to eat.

So the next time you see a bottle of crystalized honey, don’t throw it out! Spread it on a warm bagel and enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts